Amazon

16 January 2013

Dorm Room Pillows (Handmade and Inexpensive!)

Before I went to college, I knew that I wanted to get some cozy and cute pillows to adorn my bed.  What better way to add decoration (and function) to an otherwise bland room?  I had already chosen my dark purple comforter, so I wanted pillows that fit in with that color scheme.  Here is what I came up with:

Birds on a Line

This long bird pillow was inspired by Sukan pillows that I saw on Etsy.  I used:
  • Different colored felt sheets
  • Black embroidery thread
  • Grey fabric
  • Pillow stuffing
And here's what I did:
  1. Draw a bird shape onto an index card, and cut it out to use as a pattern.
  2. Cut out different colored birds from the felt.
  3. Cut out two rectangles of the grey fabric, and leave seam allowance.
  4. On the back of one rectangle, draw three horizontal lines and mark off 1/2 inch internals.
  5. With the embroidery thread, stitch on each interval for even stitches.  Use all 6 strands of thread.
  6. Turn the pillow over and place the birds. Have fun and try different arrangements!
  7. Pin the birds in place and topstitch around the edge using matching thread.
  8. Place both grey rectangles right side together and sew around the outside, leaving an opening on bottom.
  9. Flip right side out, and fill with pillow stuffing. Close the opening with a topstitch.



Simple Pillows


The other pillows that I made were much simpler.  I found this really nice cotton fabric that incorporated all of my colors.  To make these two smaller pillows, I just cut out squares of the fabric, and did the last two steps of the last pillow. Super fast and super easy to make!  I got custom pillows for my dorm room that matched my decor and did not break the bank!

1 comment:

  1. Bedding decorative pillows are no more about just about providing a pillow for headrest. Nowadays decorative pillows are multipurpose in nature and have undergone many beautiful enhancements in terms of size, shapes and design.

    ReplyDelete