Amazon

02 August 2012

Shapie Decorated Mug: A Tutorial

This craft was also inspired by this post that I saw on Pinterest by A Beautiful Mess. I wanted to make a customized mug with which to drink my tea this September. I really liked the simplicity of the Sharpie on the white mug and the drawn-on teabag.  Here's my version.

Tutorial

What You Need: a white mug (I got mine from the Christmas Tree Shop for $1), and a Sharpie marker


Step 1: Draw your design on the mug.  This is where you can be creative.  I'm a fan of quotes, so I chose to write a quote by C. S. Lewis that reads: "You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me."  I also drew the tag of the tea bag like on the inspiration mug.


Step 2: Bake the mug in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.  After it is finished, let it cool in the oven, because it will be very hot.


That's all there is to it! I would recommend hand-washing the mug just to ensure that the design stays on.  Sharpie markers are not actually meant to write on glossy surfaces like mugs.  If you want the design to stay on better, invest in an actual ceramics marker. However, for a $1 investment, I'd say that this is pretty good.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Get everything you'll need now

1 comment:

  1. This didn't work for me. It wipes right off.

    ReplyDelete